Friday 17 February 2012

Hong Kong – Interesting Things And The Last Day


Jane’s flat was amazing. Situated at North Point, it was very clean and even had someone to welcome you as you came in. The area was really lovely, and there was a swimming pool and spa area at its base where we enjoyed a Jacuzzi, steam room and sauna.

I loved watching Cantonese TV as it had Kanji subtitles and I could recognise some characters. The acting for soaps was overdramatized and melodramatic, so it was pretty easy to figure out story lines, but it was cool to watch places you visited appear on screen in the plot. We also watched the Cantonese Music Awards which were loads of fun, but my personal favourites were the adverts which were almost as entertaining as the programs themselves. The one for panty liners/ sanitary towels featuring happy dancing girls cracks me up just thinking about it. Even more so as I saw the product in a supermarket the next day. The HK Police aired a commercial/clips of how to keep your belongings and yourself safe whilst out on the streets and how to avoid theft which I thought was very sensible.

Watching TV whilst laying in my favourite contraption… THE MASSAGE CHAIR was the best! I think I spent more time in that chair than on the sofa, and it was just so relaxing after an exhausting day of walking around and exploring the city. There were many different massages to choose from, and you could adjust it to suit the height of different people so I had a blast using it. Shame it was too big to smuggle back home… L

We went to the cinema one day to see Sherlock Holmes: Game Of Shadows which was an awesome movie (in English but with Cantonese Subtitles) and enjoyed some sweet popcorn, which unlike the popcorn in Britain was covered with solidified caramel! It made a good change and was absolutely delicious!

One mall had a massive Hello Kitty as its mascot positioned at the entrance and was an interesting place as there were machines in each Star Sign which, when inserted with a small donation to a children’s charity would tell your fortune. Apparently, in wealth I’ll be super lucky! :D There was also an arcade in the same mall with adorably cute prizes. I didn’t win anything but just standing in the radiant pink space was cool enough.

On the way back to England, we took the bus to the airport, which was a long ride but allowed a last good look of the city and islands and before we left Jane’s flat, we had some noodles which I now admit were a symbol/motif of the adventure XD

One thing I can say about HK Airport is that it’s super-efficient. We were through immigration and on our plane sharpish, although once again the journey was brain numbing. We couldn’t even get a decent place to sleep at our EIGHT HOUR stopover in Doha, and I’m not sure if it was because I was female, but the male clerks at duty free and information desks were very rude. The women however were really helpful but it was annoying that they wouldn’t accept or exchange HK Dollars so I had to use GB Pounds which I was thankful I’d brought with me. Although I wished to take my jacket off, I was attracting a lot of looks from Sheiks already, so I kept it on. >_< Eight hours eventually passed and I was finally home; truth be told though, I didn’t really want to leave in the first place! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment