Monday 26 September 2011

Not So Much Fun With Finny..... Brief Hospitalisation

I finally reached a point where I could not stand it anymore if people asked me "Do you have a cold?"
I've had a naturally nasal voice for years and  apparently it is a cardinal sin if you want a career in acting (the looks of horror I got from several drama colleges...) Anyway, I decided to visit my hospitals ENT (Ear, Nose And Throat) department to see if there was anything wrong up there.

After shoving a camera up my nose (very uncomfortable), the doctor recomended that surgery may help me as my adenoids (the tissue around your nose and throat area) was larger than it should be and the lining to my nose was inflamed and swollen. Whilst they were at it, they'd even fix my deviated sceptum. Hooray...

I decided to go through with it. After a very useless pre-op which could have been done over the phone the day arrived (21st September 2011) and I woke at the crack of dawn (around 6 am) for my operation. They'd moved me from the teenage ward to the adult ward but because of my Autism my Mother was allowed to come in with me (hehe, there are perks).

I changed into a stylin' gown which I had trouble doing up and into trendy socks that would help prevent DVT. (I am not good with sarcasm, so let me stress, this is sarcasm). I believe I rocked the look pretty well and had a nap on the surprisingly comfy bed after filling in health and consent forms and having a brief discussion with the surgeon. I was very lucky as I was second in the operating theatre. This had the extra benefit of me being too tired to fight the nurses and anaesthetists off (putting a drip into the vein of my dominant hand was PAINFUL) and also my Mum was allowed into the operating theatre until I passed out. Which I did surprisingly quickly. Apparently they used quick a lot of drugs which may explain what happened later.

I don't think I dreamt as when I came to I was in the recovery room. I was woken by a nurse mopping blood off me. BOY, THE BLOOD! It's a very good thing I am not squeamish (plus I was too tired and drugged up to care) as it was all over my face, spattered on the bed and I was wearing a new robe as the other one looked like something out of a horror film. Having been in a dressing room with plenty of girls in various states of undress (me included) I didn't mind that a woman had changed me, however because my pants were the only things I was wearing underneath, I was glad of wearing my nice new white lacey Primark ones. At least I looked good passed out on a hospital bed.

By now I had woken up a bit and was looking a little crappy so she gave me some more drugs (morphine?) to help and whilst I was taking another nice kip I was wheeled back into my bay. I was so proud of myself that I didn't panic and cause someone an injury (although I couldn't help a dramatic gasp of pain which made the other lady in the recovery room look up in shock. My bad.)  Mum told me that whilst they had done the adenoidectomy and burning (it's actually just an electric current) of the inferior turbinates, the sceptoplasy was dropped after the surgeon had talked with my Mum saying that I was too fine boned; if they moved and stiched my sceptum it could easily pop back into place and I would need more sugery. She wisely refused this on my behalf - no nose sewing for me!

After a while, the nuse sat me up. Big mistake. I turned as white/creamy as the curtains around the bed. The nurses didn't even wait for the doctors permission to give me medicine, they just decided to act quickly and do it. Natually, it hurt. Damn you intravenous drip and fluid!
Later I was given a biscuit - a big thing for me as my household doesn't have any. During my upteenth nap my Mum had gone to the cafe and got me orange juice (which I will soon rename my life fluid) and various food items including an egg roll which was delicious. I went to go pee so I could be discharged, and that was my second big mistake (the weeing part was fine, it was just I suddenly felt really sick). I do hate having an abnormally high body temperature at times...

Anyway, I managed to get myself back to the bed and literally stripped off my dressing gown and tried to cool down. One of the nurses gave me a cooling pad, which made her a hero in my eyes. I listened to my ipod for a bit and had fun conversations about the other patients with my Mum.



Around 6pm I was discharged. Taking the IV out was a procedure in itself as Mum had to talk to me about Japan to calm me down as I was literally spitting blood. (It came out my nose too but I digress). PAIN >_< I was given some more drugs and even a little packet of them so I could enjoy the experience at home. (And I kept my trendy DVT socks as a present).
My Gandmother also came as I was wheeled out the hospital in an awesome wheelchair. I passed another girl about my age who was clutching her very pregnant stomach and wheezing. I wanted to say something like 'Top O The Morning' (I was tired, ok?) but didn't think she'd appreciate it.

Back home I slept. Again. A lot. The doctor had written me a sick note valid for two weeks (hooray) and I started to enjoy being pampered / babied a little. I mainly enjoyed sleeping though. Apart from a few headaches and pains I am now well on my way to recovery and whilst I am still passing a lot of blood, it's not shooting out every orifice so I'm counting my blessings. I also have a few Get Well Soon Cards.

I have been doing many things to keep me busy and out of people's way so my nose doesn't become infected. I made the Nanoblock Alapca I won, watched movies and TV (on my new Freeview telly :D) and read countless books. I even fed the ducks today and thought philosophically wise thoughts like 'Why do ducks eat bread? It's not like it's part of their natural diet...' Yet again, ducks will eat many carb food products as after a picnic with my friends, someone (probably me) had the bright idea to feed them Thai Chilli Crisps. It wasn't as easy as throwing in hunks of bread but none of the ducklings started foaming at the mouth and keeling over, so they most likely were a hit. I hope. Mum said I looked a bit pale afterwards, but I'm feeling a lot better now after a rest, a banana and a smoothie.



Anyway, here I am. Still alive (just) and looking foward to Expo in October. Sorry there are not many pictures (for obvious reasons).
Finny out.

No comments:

Post a Comment